I received an article in my ILL account, but the quality is poor. Can I get a new copy?


Yes! If you received a PDF in your ILL account that is not legible, is incomplete, or problematic in some other way, please contact the CSD Office with the transaction number for the request.  We will ask that the lending library scan a new copy for you, and you'll receive an email when it has been delivered to your account.

Answered by: Megan Gaffney
Last Updated: Jun 14, 2023 Views: 148